Sunday, December 6, 2015

Blog Post 7: Uses and Gratifications

2. What is meant by uses and gratifications? Which uses and gratifications do you think are the most important for people nowadays?

According to our text book, “Media Analysis Techniques,” by Arthur Asa Berger, the uses-and-gratifications theory is a “sociological theory states that audiences use the mass media for certain purposes and gain certain gratification from the use of those media” (Berger 224). The focus is on how people use, benefit, and gain from the media rather than how the media affects the audience. This theory is further discussed in detail on page 119 of the book and goes into details of different ways the users gain gratification.

For example, people watch a comedy TV show to be amused. The user uses the media to “find things to laugh about, to be put in a happy spirit, and is the source of pleasure” (Berger 119).

Another example would be to gain more information about the world. By using the media, the user gains knowledge, new information, and values. I have a good example of this; recently I watched a documentary on Netflix which informs their audience of the problem in plastic waste that is improperly disposed of. The plastic waste would go into the ocean and then wash up on shore. The document gave stats on the effects of this improper disposal. It really made me conscious of throwing away plastic, how much plastic I use, and now whenever I see small plastic waste on the ground I tend to pick it up to throw away. By using this media, I have been gratified with information and new values.

I believe that with the media growing more and more each year, people nowadays are using the media to gratify themselves in many ways. It’s difficult to choose one out of the twenty-four from the book. I will say that this year I have noticed how users are using the media to promote themselves. What do I mean by this? I am talking about how people use social media to promote and advertise their skills, professions, and bodies. In particular, I am talking about Instagram posts. My original thought of Instagram was that people post up pictures of their life, activities, friends, pets and whatnot. But after actually getting my first iPhone and my first account on Instagram I have learned that a large majority of people use Instagram to promote themselves. From large corporate companies like Target and Nike to small businesses like a calligraphy artist, and even models – they are using social media to be gratified with fame and fortune.

Looking at media through a use-and-gratification theory is interesting because I have read many articles about how the media is affecting us. It is true that the media makes a big impact on how our lifestyles are but we still use it for our benefits. The media gains from the users and the users gain from the media.


No comments:

Post a Comment